Sunday, 6 May 2012

Exciting New Mid Century Modern Fabric Quilt!

Have decided to start on a large and exciting project - to make a wonderful large quilt using all my favourite and precious rare pieces of mid century modern fabrics that I've collected over the past ten years. (some 60s and 70s are slipping in too!)
Many are original 50s Lucienne Day, Marian Mahler and Jaqueline Groag fabrics. (none are reproductions)
Although they look a bit of a clash together, I feel it's something I want to do so I can enjoy them all instead of them being in a suitcase! Here are some photos of the initial stages - laying them out to see what could work together. Next stage is washing them all by hand, ironing them and cutting them into exact squares. I shall keep you posted on my progress - it might take a while as I've got my fingers in lots of pies!







12 comments:

Happy in red said...

Oh, that's just wonderful! I picked up some vintage fabrics too and am also thinking about making a quilt. The top I can deal with... it's the rest that's causing me a headache ;-)
Enjoy your Sunday,
Esther.

Rainbow Vintage Home said...

Oh Jane that quilt is going to be amazing! I'm in the process of cutting squares for a quilt at the moment, it is such fun laying them out in different patterns and colour combinations. I totally agree, it;s nice to be able to enjoy looking at all my fabrics instead of them all lurking in piles in my cupboard. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt! Rachel x

Arctic Mum said...

Browsing Etsy, thought this had to be something for you: http://www.etsy.com/listing/69694301/sunny-side-up-mod-daisy-vintage-fabric

Jopsy said...

Jealous! :)

Fedulab said...

Oh my it will be amazing!
Fede

Jo said...

Ooo that will look gorgeous! And it'll be super special too, having all your favourite fabrics in it. I look forward to seeing it when it's done
Jo :)

patchworkdove said...

It is an awesome idea, I just watched a quilting show where this woman made a sampler quilt of every single pattern she ever used , so this quilt became a record of all of her patterns.

Jane Foster Blog said...

Yes, it'll be similar to the previous comment!

vintagetown said...

Hi Jane
Looks beautiful - I've been doing the very same (but with cushion covers) - fantastically absorbing and addictive!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83134704/patchwork-cushion

barnigjendesign said...

Fantastic!

Danielle McDonald said...

Oooh I love it already. Can't wait to see it progress.

Betty Zee said...

HI, what can I say it is going to look amazing! I made a quilt by hand a few years ago... it took a year! BUT I was and still am very proud of it. I love the colours and print of your little stash! I can't wait to see its progress! All best crafty wishes Vintage Betty Zee x